LEADFREE Archives

May 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Carol Spiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 10:33:31 -0600
I've just had a very interesting conversation.  A fairly senior person at Nortel working in the Wireless Bay Station Products group made the statement to a Director in the company I work for that the Wireless Bay Station Products group were not pursuing lead free compliance as they were going with the " 5 out of 6 exemption".  When asked about this the Nortel manager stated that as long as they were compliant with 5 of the 6 restricted substances they didn't have to be compliant with the 6th and that they chose the 6th to be Lead.
Now my collegue wants to know why our company needs to be compliant if Nortel doesn't.
I went through my standard explanation. However, now I'm curious, I would like to know if anyone else in the forum has ever heard of this "5 out of 6 exemption".  I know there are some fairly active Nortel participants in the forum.  Your take please.
C. M. (Carol) Spiers
Director of Operations
Interalia Inc.