EMBEDDEDNET Archives

May 2005

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Richard Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D-50 Embedded Devices Committee Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 13:08:58 -0500
Robert -

Yes, a couple of responses have suggested that I point out the RF
bypassing thing.  Here's a revised paragraph:

=======================================

If this were the only significant source of inductance, then using a
50% thinner dielectric would give a 41% higher self-resonance
frequency, while simultaneously doubling the capacitance. The makers
of SM low-ESL capacitors are utilizing this principle by shepherding
currents in their parts to achieve at least some degree of field
cancellation, at higher cost associated with the more complex
interior structure that is required. I should point out that a
capacitor will still perform some decoupling duties above this
trasition since its impedance will still be very low, enabling high-
frequency noise to be drained to ground.  This filter vs. power
supply aspects of decoupling capacitors will be the topic of a future
column.

======================================

When I write that one I'll for sure get you EE's to review it.  You
don't want a ChemE guessing at this stuff!

- Rick

Dr. Richard Ulrich
Professor
Dept. of Chemical Engineering