DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
George Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 11:24:54 -0700
Personally, I never mind when anybody comments :)

I lived most of my early life with advertising, my mother was a production
chief for a furniture ad agency, my step-father was a copywriter (with a
different agency).  That said, I don't like the way advertising is creeping
into everything we see, hear, and do; but I understand that it becomes
necessary for a number of reasons (including greed, and sometimes it's not
the execs.)

I don't think this situation is the same as product placement in a movie or
TV program.  Nobody forces you to watch a program or movie.  Although some
may buy a product because they are devoted to the actors or stories, they
are not doing it because their favorite actor says "I want you to use this
product."  The IPC isn't just a trade organization.  It's an organization
that is a source of standards that, although not mandatory, are used widely
and have become _required_ by many companies.  This means some of us are
being forced to "watch" the IPC "program."

Although I understand that the IPC wants to find other income streams, I
find it disturbing when ANY quasi-regulatory organization begins to stifle
competition by supporting a particular third-party tool that utilizes data
from their standards, to the point of including a product of that company
with their standard.  I have no problem with them pointing to a product and
saying "this product supports our standard," I DO have a problem with
including the product IN the standard, in effect endorsing that product over
any other existing _or future_ products.  To continue the theme, the IPC
"actor" is telling us to use the product.

I find it particularly disturbing when a person or company has the
appearance of steering a standard in a particular direction to possibly
further stifle competition or enhance their position.  No, Nick, I don't
know if that is the case with PCBL, and I don't expect you to see that it
appears possible since you are the paid employee of the company that was
involved and your loyalty understandably is with them.  I don't blame PCBL
for taking advantage of the situation: they are in business to make money,
and getting a leg-up on the competition (if it exists) is part of any
company's operating plan.  And I have no problem with further advertising
your product :)  But I see a not-for-profit organization allowing these
situations to arise because of questionable support of a single commercial
enterprise.  This is the age of the Internet, they need to link to all the
available products they know of on their website, or just be a standards
body and let people use Google, Downloads.com, CNET, or something else to
find products that support their standards since they may not know of _all_
products, and because they are a _standards_ organization, not a _marketing_
organization.

I don't think it's "conspiritorial" (Outlook doesn't like it, but Pete used
it, and he's a writer after all), it's just allowing some companies to take
advantage of a situation.  Since I am not a member of the IPC (just of their
Designers Council, which has no voice in ANYTHING), I have no way to
influence the direction they take other than make my opinions known this
forum.

<;^)

--
George Patrick