TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack C. Olson
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:24:18 -0500
Steve,

I assume when you show the picture "SMT TOP" that THAT is the orientation
you are soldering them?

From the way the terminations look (wrapped around the ends, nothing on the
sides) it almost seems like the manufacturer intended them to be soldered
in the orientation that you have labelled "LED PAD LAYOUT".

Are you sure those are right angle? and should be laying down on their
side?

just a thought....

Jack

----- Message from Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]> on Wed, 6
Apr 2005 08:55:39 -0500 -----

                 Subject: <No subject given>

Morning Everyone!

I just ran an assembly here that has some strange little right angle LED's
that I've never seen before. They were brought to my attention because
many of them were coming out of reflow pretty badly skewed. I've got a
few images of the LED at;  http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com

Look at "LED Top, LED Bottom, LED Pad Layout, and Recommended
Layout".

For one thing, you'll see that these LED's have no real termination to
solder to, except on the face of the ends. Another thing I discovered after
I went and checked the dimensions of the pad layout in the gerbers, then
compared it with the manufacturers recommendation, the layout isn't even
close to what's recommended.

My question is, what would you do to try and protect what little solder
joint
that is going to form, from being damaged? Some sort of glue bonding?

These little guys will need to withstand HASS testing in the upper-level
assembly believe it or not. But I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Kind regards,

-Steve Gregory-
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated