TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:57:59 -0700
If you are trying to detect it you have some kind of a
problem.......generally.

Quickest way I have found as a fast screen is to do an IPC tape test, and
run trial batches through print and re-flow without a component load and
inspect the result.

It is also important to differentiate between black pad and skip plating,
the chemical result can look the same but the trigger mechanism root cause
is completely different, and the skip  plate phenomena is much more of a
random effect, and much more difficult to find "after the event" - I would
go for immersion Ag since as Werner points out the black pad problem may
actually become worse with LF solders.

Add to this that higher thermal excursion will make matters worse
particularly with ENIG since area array packages will put high strain on the
brittle intermetallics formed on that finish at the nickel interface.

Ken, call me if you want to chat about it.

John