TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:46:32 -0500
This is a pretty interesting thread considering it's a NTC thread.

Here's a bit more information about gas...

Volvo just celebrated it's 10th anniversary of something they call Bi-fuel
Technology, which are engines that can burn methane.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/03/19/016456.html

They first introduced the engine in a Volvo 850 back in 1995, and since
then have sold over 7,000 vehicles.

This reminds me about a presentation that Bev Christian PHD, gave at
APEX 2003 titled; "Potential Global Warming Contribution From a Typical
Electronics Manufacturing Plant".

Now according to table 1 in his presentation, there is a section that
details
out the methane contribution from each employee from flatulence.

According to his figures from a plant of 1077 employees during 1995, the
amount of methane produced by employees is as follows:

Amount per person per/day (liters/day)          1.5
Work days/year                      200
Hours in a day                            24
Hours at plant                            7.5
Methane from plant personnel/year (liters)      100968.75

That's a LOT of methane that's just going up into thin air! I figure if
there were
methane "recovery" stations strategically located throughout the plant, and
storage tank out back a lot of our fuel worries would diminish...and if
employers
were to make mandatory a "Pickled eggs and Beans" day at least twice a week
for employee lunches, our fuel shortages would be solved! Viola'!

Whaddya say? Sound like a good idea?  B^ }

-Steve Gregory-

|         |           Bill Kasprzak    |
|         |           OM>              |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           04/26/2005 12:33 |
|         |           TechNet E-Mail   |
|         |           Forum; Please    |
|         |           respond to       |
|         |           bkasprzak        |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] NTC: Gas Prices                                                                     |

Ya know, it never ceases to amaze  me where some of the information passed
along on this site comes from.

Like from KB,

 "Human efficiency at running was around 0.1% of energy converted to
kinetic energy and at walking around 1%; on bicycle however over 99%."

Where does all of this "stuff" come from?

P.S I'd like to know what the efficiency is for a person on roller blades.
I suppose the friction coefficients relating to the road surface and the
quality of skate bearings play a role but I'd sure like a rough idea.

Carry on!

Bill Kasprzak
Moog Inc
Process Engineer, Electronic Assembly

Indrek Rebane <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
04/26/2005 12:56 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Indrek Rebane <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] NTC: Gas Prices

Hola Ken et al,

Bloomquist, Ken wrote:
> Ya but do you drive 50 miles to work one way every day?

I shamelessly live 7km from the labs. Usually use bicycle or public
transport. With nice weather a walk or bit jogging.

Jogging makes around 20 mpg of water on a warm day. Cycling makes about
65 mpg. Water is not Evian, but local tap ;)

If I recall correctly, then bicycle was number one in efficiency of
transportation. Behind it was jet plane travelling at high altitude.
Cars were way behind.

Human efficiency at running was around 0.1% of energy converted to
kinetic energy and at walking around 1%; on bicycle however over 99%.

Now an aerodynamic sealed bike would be quite neat.

Indrek

--
  Indrek Rebane           |      Borthwick-Pignon
  Electronics Engineer    |    Tartu Science Park

This message may contain information that is privileged and confidential to
LaBarge, Inc.  It is for use only by the individual or entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not copy, use or deliver
this message to anyone.  In such event, you should destroy the message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.