TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tempea, Ioan
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:44:02 -0400
Daan,

since we deal with many different customers, I can tell you that the most important thing in passing boards is how knowledgeable they are in terms of IPC-610 and assembly processes. The more they know, the better the communication and the less time you spend over inspecting, cleaning no-clean flux, making sure that TH components are all on the same line, etc.

So I guess the answer should be the well-known "it depends". Just kidding, not really "it depends", but "inspect it all". In the consumer goods world there is no way to segregate products and say: this one sees 100% inspection and touch-up, but this one no. The assemblers will always change, the shifts will have an impact, no matter how good your instructions are. So some people will comply and inspect less, but somebody will re-check their work and compare it with the work of a 100% inspection team. You see the picture, "why do you guys have poor results and the others are doing so well?" Nobody will bother to compare the actual cost per piece.

I know it is not what you wanted to hear, but this is my opinion. Maybe in your world, hi-rel, avionics, etc. it would be easier to control output. Also, the number of customers is important, less you have, easier to control. So, in your case, maybe, with a good production preparation engineering you could try to segregate the products. You will not be able to apply a common inspection rule to all of them. Some might be less inspected, but you will need to determine which ones. Do you have the manpower to do this?

And by the way, where did you get this report from? I would like to read it. If free download, could you add a link to your site?

Good luck,
Ioan