TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
Lance Mayes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lance Mayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:12:32 -0400
I don't know about that but I have some stuff that you can 1/8 inch of
your fork tines in, and it will season a whole steak.  A 1/16th of an inch
on a toothpick gives you a tingly feeling in the top of your head and
sweat on the moustach.  I like hot but flavorful also.

                        P.  Lance Mayes CIT
                        Mfg. Trainer

Kevin Jaworenko <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
04/22/05 12:08 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Kevin Jaworenko <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] NTC...Why so quiet today?

In order to spur on some interesting thinking I have a question that
perhaps
someone out there can explain.

In our office we love to have pizza for lunch on Fridays. We always have a
selection of hot sauces for the pizza. Our sauces typically range from 6-8
in heat out of scale from 0-10.

Now the heat in chilies is measured in Scoville units,  named for Wilbur
Scoville who worked for the Parke Davis
Pharmaceutical Company. In 1912 he developed the Scoville scale for
measuring heat by timing the amount of overall time it took for any given
pepper to loose the feeling of heat on your tongue.

My question is simply this.

Is there a more scientific method of determining scoville units for a
given
substance? People here in the office that would give something a rating of
2
or 3 might send some screaming from the room.

Is there some electronic gizmo used by the food industry to measure this
accurately?

Just a thought from a slow day.