TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:09:46 -0500
No, I really wasn’t thinking about the Black Pad failures, I was just
thinking about the gold embrittlement issue.

When Au and Sn are melted and combined, the Au goes into solution much like
sugar and water.

There is some threshold level of Au concentration after which the Au and
the Sn start to form their intermetallic compounds. Then there is probably
another threshold level where the IMC start to accumulate in a
concentration high enough to cause the embrittlement.

Of course if you add heat to the equation and temperature cycling you
increase the likely hood of failure from both the IMC and mechanical stresses.

The few failed solder joints that I have had the opportunity to investigate
were mostly at the IMs lines. A few at the IMs of the lead frame itself but
mostly at the interface of the land and lead. Some of these failures have
occurred after only 100 cycles from –40 to 175C. I have not seen any
evidence yet were there was a gold intermetallic causing the failure, not
to say no one else has.

With that said, I have seen in the past where the Au and Sn intermetallic
compounds have caused solder joint failure but that was when resistors and
DIPs were plated with gold.

So I am looking for evidence that the ENIG process is causing this problem.

Donald