TECHNET Archives

April 2005

From:
Stephen Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:51:00 -0500
Hi Ramon!

The J-STD only allows gold on PTH components if it is
below a certain thickness. But it states that you must remove
95% of the gold from the solderable surfaces regardless of
the thickness.

I'm trying to track down somebody that I can speak with who
made these devices, to learn what the solder alloy is that connects
the top half of the part...it's probably high temp solder.

I don't want to take a chance with these little guys by experimenting,
because they are customer supplied material. The reason they are
customer supplied is because they did a lifetime buy of them...once
they're gone, they're gone...there is no replacing them.

Kind regards,

-Steve Gregory-
Senior Process Engineer
LaBarge Incorporated
Tulsa, Oklahoma
(918) 459-2285
(918) 459-2350 FAX

|         |           "Dehoyos, Ramon" |
|         |           <ramon.dehoyos@ng|
|         |           c.com>           |
|         |           04/13/2005 02:21 |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       "TechNet E-Mail Forum" <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>                      |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [TN] Tinning of Bipolar Transistor                                                       |

             Hi Steve:
                                     It should be no problem. The package
is made of what appears ceramic. I would still do one and check it under
the microscope just in case. I talked a while back to a lead plating
company and they let me know, that the plating thickness, that gold
flashing (that is the gold plating process used on leads) produces, is less
than the 98 millionths of an inch that  is allowable by J-STD-001. In many
cases it is not even necessary to remove the gold. Many people do it just
in case.
             Regards,
             Ramon