TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
"Randy Bock Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:22:50 -0500
We use PCMCIA Cards and Programmed Proms with Mag Tipped Screw drivers and
as far as I know we have not had any failures due to the Screw Driver
being in close proximity or next to either component.   As stated however
Mach 2 could cause some sort of disturbance.   Not sure what degree of
Magnetism the tips are exposed to but does not seem to be a great deal ,
as at times it takes a little persuasion to pick-up a magnetic material
screw.

Randy Bock Sr.
Quality Manager
Pitney Bowes
AddressRight Printers
(email)  [log in to unmask]
Newtown Building 2
203 270-4931  Ext
    8-426-4931  In
203 270-4982 Fax

Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
03/24/2005 11:13 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Magnetic screwdrivers

I also asked another engineer here after posting the question.  He took
the
tongue in cheek view that 'Well, technically, you could do a lot of damage
with a magnetic screwdriver by smashing a component with it - and magnetic
hammers are even worse...' he also said, ' Induced current from a moving
field is theoretically a potential risk, but that screwdriver would
probably
have to be going about Mach 2 to have any effect '
It was good for a laugh this morning.
Frankly this co has been around for over 15 years and I'm pretty sure we
have used magnetic screwdrivers for most or all of that time.  Albeit,
components keep getting smaller and smaller and more sensitive, but I
think
I am leaning towards the 'it is not an issue' side.  The only time it
MIGHT
be an issue is if the screwdriver was right on or beside a component that
was in the process of being programmed, and then I would be more concerned
that the screwdriver was going to slip and short something...