TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:53:58 +0200
Sorry, you are wrong on two counts.
1) all three substances can dissolve in water at the concentrations
stated, depending on the temperature. However, the CaCl2 and sucrose
will precipitate out as you start to cool it down.
2) the max temp depression for a saturated sucrose syrup to freeze is
only about 4.9°C (hence the popsicle)

However, you did not specify whether the CaCl2 was hydrated or not. 10 g
of CaCl2.2H2O will obviously contain less CaCl2 than the dehydrated stuff!

Brian