TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
"Mcmaster, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mcmaster, Michael
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:52:11 -0800
Now that we've managed to merge cold weather and alcohol into a single
message thread, I'm reminded of my college days when we would go outside in
sub-freezing weather with a bottle of beer.  The beer would be liquid when
you opened and for that first sip or two.  But by the third or fourth sip,
it would be a semi-frozen beer slushie!  It happened way to fast to just be
ambient cooling.  The combination of expansion due to pressure relief and
outgassing of the dissolved carbon dioxide simultaneously cooled the drink
as well as raised the freezing point.