TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:09:12 +0200
OK, your "Cyprus man" is responding!

You seem to have two problems: 1) your COD is too high and b) you have
too much amine which needs to be converted to ammonia during
biodegradation. Both have the same cause: too much Vigon is entering
your waste water. There are several ways of looking at this, but I
cannot advise you without knowing a lot more about what your machine is
doing.

I presume you are not dumping your Vigon solution to drain. (!) The
easiest way, if it is feasible, of reducing drag-out is to have powerful
air knives between the Vigon wash and the first rinse. This will allow
the recovered Vigon to be shoved back into the tank and will cut down on
your losses and thus save money. The second way is to convert your first
rinse to a closed circuit, so that the bulk of the dragged out Vigon
remains in this water. The contents of this tank will then become
hazardous waste and not dumped to drain.

Another way is to convert your system to closed circuit, so that you
send almost nothing to drain. This is the "greenest" solution, as your
water consumption will drop by ~80%, but it requires real expert
knowledge to succeed.

Alternatively, you need to pre-treat your waste water with something
more than carbon filtration, which is hairy at the best of times. You
have to match the carbon to the pollutant; any old activated carbon is
not the answer because the adsorbtion pore size must be large enough to
admit the molecule but not too large that the molecule passes straight
through. This can be quite tricky.

Whatever, this will entail some extra cost, but you should be able to
achieve the desired results, with some co-operation from your
authorities. These may be applying the letter of the law, where it is
not strictly necessary, depending on the capacity of your local waste
water treatment plant. OTOH, if you ARE upsetting the working of the
plant, then you really must do something.

If you wish to discuss this further, you can phone me; I'll send you my
# off list.

Brian