TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:13:26 -0600
I think it is inaccurate to say there are no standard protocols.  I do
agree that one approach will not cover all needs, but most of the commonly
used test standards allow you to modify the protocol based on specific
needs or endpoints.  MIL-STD-810 is a good starting point for reliability
and covers a wide range.  DO-160 is another good test regimen.  I think
that if  you to testing to these standards, you get an excellent idea of
reliability.  You then only have to augment the testing with product
specific tests (e.g. concrete drop tests for cell phones).

Doug Pauls

             David Douthit
             Sent by: TechNet                                           To
             <[log in to unmask]>         [log in to unmask]
                                                                        cc

             03/10/2005 06:28                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [TN] BGA Reliability Test
                                       Protocol

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
               David Douthit

Bob,

That's the whole idea! There are none. There some recommendation that
are very general in nature but there is no longer a "one size fits all"
testing standard. You must determine the end use environmental
conditions and life warranty requirements for each product and test
accordingly. You must learn to correlate testing to field conditions
(not easy - you need a lot of experience).
This is causing serious soul (sole for Dewey) searching for Pb free builds!

Good luck!

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC

bob wettermann wrote:

>Dear Technetters:
>
>In reviewing the myriad of BGA reliability tech papers there seems to be
little commonality in the type of test protocols. There are tests that are
industry specific, device vendor specific and customer specific.

>What guidance in terms of minimum mechanical solder joint strength and
reliability testing would the knowledgeable designers (for CLASS II
products)have for us? (We are NOT designers of circuit boards, systems or
devices). Any test protocol standards? What would be the acceptance
criteria for pass/fail be? What type of measurements would be required as a
minimum?