TECHNET Archives

March 2005

From:
Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Eric CHRISTISON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:33:08 -0000
Answer to your firstquestion, does 1ppm make a difference?

In my opinion probably not. I doubt that the published data is really
accurate to better than 1ppm. Anyway what do the manufacturers of the MCM
recommend or guarantee or have qualified their device to? What is the
environment the part is going to operate in and how big is it? If you know
the geometry of the pins you it's easy to calculate the maximum dimensional
mismatch at extremes of temperature which will give you a feel for whether
you have something to worry about.

Second question, does the whole board need to be of the same material. If
you build a board with layers of different CTE at best you'll induce lots of
internal stresses, at worth the board will warp horribly.

Regards,

Eric  Christison
Mechanical Engineer
Consumer & Micro Group - Imaging Division
STMicroelectronics
33 Pinkhill
Edinburgh
EH12 7BF