TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:05:32 -0800
The IPC Designer's Council is an International organization for PCB
Designers, Clyde, regardless of where they are forced to live and work.
Blame the investors and the 'bean counters', not the designers for where
some of the 'jobs' are going. Their managers probably went to those slick
seminars for managers that sell them of the 'cost savings' of lower wage
earners overseas...without telling them the downside to that strategy...

 Most of those companies have had troubles with sending their business
overseas... if you have been reading the many published articles,... many of
them have pulled back much or all of the work they sent overseas looking for
low wage workers and brought it back to the technically capable trained
workers because it was much more 'cost effective'... Surprise...quality
counts.

The ones who are keeping their training up and working at it are the ones
who are getting jobs and still working here and overseas... and getting paid
well for it. Those who want to get a better life for themselves have always
had to work for it and educate themselves... So are you suggesting that we
not teach anyone anything about DFM or the IPC specs we use to define our
products and processes for our products?  Do you want to manufacture designs
slapped together by conscripted untrained assemblers or EE's who are being
asked to do layout since the company can't find a certified designer to
design their boards?  Believe me, the PCB manufactures WANT us to use the
IPC specs... for a good reason.

Check out the counties that call themselves members of the IPC Designers
Council...  Trained Designers help this industry all over the globe...
including here at home in the 'good old USA' too. The Designers Council is
the best thing that ever happened to the IPC... the training gets to those
who can make a difference in the cost of products and their manufacture. Our
members are designing boards all over the globe to IPC specs and they are
saving PCB manufacturers and assembly houses time and money with every board
they design, not to mention the money they save their own employers...

http://dc.ipc.org/ccontacts/Chapter.html

Education is a good thing... and I believe in it Clyde... I don't think we
should deny anyone an education or the chance to get a job.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com