TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:04:25 +0200
It is impossible to give a cut-and-dried answer as there are far too
many variables. Personally, I am STRONGLY opposed to using rinse water
conductivity/resistivity as a measure of cleanliness because:
a) the water does not know what components and materials you are using
and their spacing
b) nor does it know how efficient your machine is at cleaning and
rinsing, how many nozzles are blocked or spraying badly etc.
c) nor does it know whether your drying will be largely mechanical
(good) or largely evaporative (bad)
d) nor does it know the conditions of use of the end product
e) etc.

In other words, you cannot use such a parameter as a process quality
control. It is not meant for that; it is meant to tell you when the DI
columns need regenerating, nothing more nor less. In order to determine
all the parameters of a cleaning system, there is only one way, a full
series of qualification tests, which includes SIR and ionics (possibly
chromatography), according to your individual requirements of
reliability of the finished product etc., followed by daily process
controls, of which monitoring the resistivity of your final rinse water
will be only a minor part. You may find that you may need to go up to 10
megohm-cm or that you can go down to 0.05 megohm-cm. I've seen both
these figures in many decades of cleaning experience as the first
aqueous cleaning machine manufacturer in Europe and a contamination and
SIR tester manufacturer. Believe me!

Brian