TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:41:41 -0800
Hi Joseph,

Of course my experience with punching boards is somewhat limited to the work
I did back in the 1980's for a high volume manufacturer of power supplies,
ACDC Electronics, now known as Astec Power supplies... We used CEM1 for the
material and changing the location of any features once you went into
production was limited to traces only, no cutouts or holes could move
because they would affect the tooling. Blanking dies where not cheap and we
were experimenting back then with a process called 'punch and return' which
was supposed to keep the board in its assembly panel while assembling it and
then allow the assembly line to pop it out after assembly since it had
already been punched all around it's perimeter...

I'm sure there are others who have had more experience with punched boards
than I have but I do remember that the blanking company was definitely not
interested in punching FR4 because of the die wear.  Die wear might explain
the cracks he's seeing in the board edges due to poor shearing... but I'm
sure a qualified ME or board inspector with a microscope would be able to
diagnose the problem more accurately...

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com