TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:58:59 -0500
Interesting comment.

We've had an on-going debate about this at my company. An employee attended
a seminar where the instructor made the same statement, and has been
adamant about it ever since. My experience has been that in high volume,
it's less expensive to punch non-plated features, and I was never aware of
any quality risks. (By the way, it was done for years for us by
PhotoCircuits - a nice apple pie American company - at the time anyway)

I'd be interested to hear the experts here weigh in on the issue.

Best Regards,
-Chris

                       cguitar
                       <[log in to unmask]>          To:   [log in to unmask]
                       Sent by: TechNet                  cc:
                       <[log in to unmask]>                 Subject:    Re: [TN] Cracking FR4

                       02/16/2005 11:08 PM
                       Please respond to TechNet
                       E-Mail Forum; Please
                       respond to cguitar

FR4 should never be punched, I believe

At 11:54 AM 2/17/2005, you wrote:
>Hopefully someone in the forum may have had experience with cracking
>along edge of FR4 as per attached photo. The profile of this pcb was
>punched and subsequently the edge has fine cracks through the soldermask
>and glass. We have had a large quantity of this part made in China and
>are concerned that this cracking could compromise the board function.

>[log in to unmask]: SET Technet Digest
>Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/contentpage.asp?Pageid=4.3.16
>for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or
>847-615-7100 ext.2815

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."