TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Barmuta, Mike
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:40:48 -0800
Matthew: The immersion metals Au, Ag and Sn all have their pluses and
minuses, however I wouldn't be quite so quick to rule out OSP coatings.

In addition to having a lower cost Vs immersion metals, the newer generation
OSP's have the capability to stand up to the higher temperatures of lead
free reflow. Although a lot depends on your process i.e. type of oven,
atmosphere, solderpaste, number of passes, storage conditions, etc. We have
run considerable testing on OSP with lead free and not had issues.

Also if you require selective electroplated gold for such things as switches
and key pads. It will be much easier, cheaper and more available from a
fabrication standpoint than immersion metal processes.

I believe there may be a place for all four of these coatings depending on
board design and final requirements. Also don't forget about lead free HAL.

Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.