TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:27:15 +0200
Yes! There are sulfides in the air, especially if you are near any
source of emissions from burning fossil fuels. Coal is bad, in
particular, but so are motor-fuels and heating fuels that have not
specifically been de-sulfided. Even rotting vegetation may emit small
quantities of hydrogen sulfide. There is little you can do about it.
Then, just to show how tricky the situation is, eat an egg sandwich with
your fingers then just touch a clean silver surface: you will get a
beautiful black fingerprint. This is why many rich Georgian households,
bristling with silver for everything, used bone eggspoons and ceramic
eggcups, because silver ones blackened with a single use. However,
although it is not impossible, I've never heard of sulfide-containing
plastics in our industry. In fact, some of the items you mention should
not contain any plasticiser!

Brian