TECHNET Archives

February 2005

From:
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:48:51 -0800
Phil,

We have built a number of PCAs with lead-free and leaded balls with mixed
success..

The first thing to consider is the type of metal in the solder paste...This
is what forms the joint...You must first reflow the solder paste...

Next, what thermal profile will the PCB take... This determines the amount
of stress the joints will see after the solder solidifies and before the PCB
material reaches its final rest state....At this point you may also want to
look at the type of PCB surface finish...HASL seems more forgiving than
ENIG..

Lastly the solder paste thickness and metals content...These give you joint
volume and flux amount which reduces ball surface tension...This plays a
very big role in ball collapse...

Assuming you are using convection driven reflow ovens..

and we have a HASL PCBs with standard PCB material, running 90%-91% 63-37
metal water-soluble solder paste, with 6+mil thick stencils, we are
successful at 10C over our current peak with standard profiles.

Paul Edwards
Process Engineering
Tel: 408-433-4700
FAX: 408-433-9988