LEADFREE Archives

February 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:47:52 -0600
Hi Greg, IPC LF Listservers,

Well this looks good, considering the two sites you are using, and we will
know for sure when the OJ is published. One of these references had a
typographical error which I would expect to be corrected.

It seems like companies (producers, and users) are finally coming out of
the wood work (so to speak) and asking for an exemption to be able to
continue to supply a particular type of component technology. I can see at
least IBM and Tessera and maybe Tyco (compliant pins) in these very
specific write ups. Too bad they don't list the specifics sponsors for each
each new exemption.

At this point I would say YES to your question.

If you have a component technology that you are using or developing that
mounts a chip (Si, GaAs, Ge) etc to a lead frame you seem to be OK. Funny
it doesn't say it has to be encapsulated.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave

P.S. Who knows maybe Paul from Dionics will enter, or one of the IBM guys
who's mail bounces back, or Tyco Hilty, or, or.

P.S. Congrats to California based Tessera.

<I found this information at the following sites, I am looking for
confirmation/clarification of allowable solder bumps in Flipchip for
ROHS.>

http://www.pb-free.info/tac_summary.htm

http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/weee/TAC_10_December.pdf