LEADFREE Archives

February 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:32:42 -0000
I have had a response from the DTi on several questions we were

discussing earlier:

Q: For companies selling and shipping product direct from outside the EU

to end user customers within the EU, how will WEEE obligations be

enforced?

DTi A:

We recognise the issue of equipment being shipped from outside the EU

direct to customers in the EU, it is something that we & other member

States have expressed concern about.  As I'm sure you are aware, member

States are only able to legislate within their own borders & we cannot

therefore compel a non-EU producer to register in the EU & fulfil their

obligations.

Q: Please clarify on the rumour that WEEE implementation will be delayed

in the UK.

DTi A:

On the UK implementation, we had a number of responses through the last

consultation expressing concern at the short time remaining between now

& August & we are therefore going to our ministers with advice soon to

ask for key decisions, including on the timetable to implementation.

Once the decision has been made at ministerial level, we will make a

public announcement on our website - hopefully in the next few weeks.

Further to the last answer, I was talking to a UK recycler today who

felt WEEE may well be delayed until April 2006.

Regards

Chris

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you are not

the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are not the intended

recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on

this message is strictly prohibited.