DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Andy Kowalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:21:35 -0800
Jack, and Andy and anyone else that is interested:

The Designers Council Executive Board is hard at work trying to find a
formula that addresses two really big issues:

1) The IPC sees UP media and its shows as arch competitiors, and proceeds on
trying really hard to "win" the competitive war. There's justification for
that attitude - business is business.

2) The Designers Council stated intent is "By Designers, For Designers". Has
been all along. UP Media, through Andy Shaughnessy, Mike Beutow and
certainly Pete Waddell, have been very supportive of designers everywhere,
over many years. Pete especially went out on many shaky limbs to help the
Designers Council get up and running, and maintained, over a long, long
period of time. Times change - when there's a war on you don't ask for, or
give, any quarter, despite where your heart really lies.

It's like that. It's not something that can be easily solved without a
sturdy, business-like outlook from both parties that acknowledges that a
real business policy lies in finding a win-win solution.

There's a solution buried somewhere in the war of words that's flying about.
We have had a lot of discussions with both sides, and both sides profess a
desire to work together for the betterment of designers everywhere.

How to make that happen is not at all clear, but it doesn't stop your
Executive Board from trying hard. We are after all only an advisory body and
all we can do is advise, strongly, diligently, frequently and in clear and
unambiguous terms. The rest is up to the IPC and UP Media.

Watch this space - sooner or later I would sincerely like to tell you that
rather than a serious division in the two organisations capable of really
helping designers universally, we have a united, cohesive and effective
business policy from both sides that works.

It will be WIN-WIN-WIN: IPC wins, UP Media wins, and most of all you, the
designer wins.

Andy Kowalewski
Chairman, and proud member of a great team on the Designers Council
Executive Board.