DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:57:05 -0800
Hello ! ! !

Is anybody home ! ! !

This is sheer stupidity ! ! !

So far only one person has asked the critical question, and everyone including Joe
has ignored it ! ! !

Joe - What type of PCB Software, if any, do you have ? ? ?

Joe - What, if anything other than a pencil and paper, did you use to draw your
schematics with ? ? ?

You say you have been "tasked" - Do the people (your boss? - your company?) that
have "tasked you" with this "task" own any PCB / Schematic software?

You say that a board house has done this for you in the past, and made PCB's for
you - what PCB / Schematic software did they use to make your previous PCB's

If you really don't want to answer all of these questions, and if you feel that the
PCB is such a "no brainer", then go to PCB Express and download their "no brainer"
software and make your own "no brainer" PCB in "10 to 12 hours" and spare us the
false humility.

If you are serious about needing help, or even needing to find someone to do the PCB
for you, you need to start with the above questions, since it does you absolutely no
good whatsoever to have your PCB done in Mentor Graphics by someone consulting for
you, when your employer owns Protel, and you board house has done 2 or 3 previous
PCB's in PADs, and you have been using an old copy or OrCAD 7.10 to do your
schematics.

You need to start with the Software, and so does anyone else who is really going to
be of any real help to you.

One simple word of advice no matter what you do, and that is this: Unless you are
doing something for Spaceflight or the Military, or it has to operate above a
Gigahertz, you are worrying far far far far too much, and making much more out of
the project than it has to be - in otherwords, don't be too paranoid about
"libraries" at this point in the game, just use what you have, since by your
discription, almost any library will do at this point in time for what you appear to
be doing.

Start by using the software your company already owns, and just start and go from
there. If your company doesn't own any software, then you have totally mis-judged
and mis-stated your real task, which means that you really have to start at the
beginning and chose what software you need based on what you have to do and what you
can afford, which is really a whole different can of worms than what you have
presented here. (This question should take into consideration what was used to make
any previous PCB's done for you by the board house, but does not have to be ther
overiding factor in the decision if there are not to many previous boards and they
were not too complicated.)

Enough for now, at least until you define where you really are right now in terms of
software.

Even if you decide that you or your company doesn't want to buy any software, you
really do need to choose a brand of software to work with before you just walk into
a consulting situation in which you end up with your designs done with who knows
what, just as your previous designs. And yes, you need to consider your previous
designs here too, to whatever extent that is worth.

JaMi