DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
JaMi Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:44:58 -0800
Bill,

Yes, the ".ddb" file is just a database file ("holder" if you must) containing the
individual files, but the point is that you need to have Protel 99 SE (P99SE) to
properly export the individual files (".pcb", ".sch", etc.) to stand alone files
that Protel 2004 (DXP04) can read, and that is the whole point, that if you need to
get a customers files into or out of a ".ddb" file format from or to individual
files, you need P99SE, which is why Altium should give him a free copy of the older
product, especially since he has bought several seats of DXP04, which cannot either
the read ".ddb" database, or extract anything from it. Please remember we are
looking for a reason to get Altium to give him a copy of P99SE, which they should do
anyway, even without a valid excuse, and not how to decode the ".ddb" database.

JaMi