TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brooks,Bill
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:02:36 -0800
Eric,

Actually white thermal grease is known for migrating all over the place
inside a housing or chassis over time... It's a messy process, if you put
too much on it doesn't work right, it has the nasty habit of drying out over
time and becomes a powder that fails thermally... there are a lot of
undesirable traits in the use of the product... but it is still used...

Sil-pads have been around for years and I have used them in high power
designs as far back as 1980 and very successfully... they are clean, they
have repeatable performance, they don't dry out, they don't migrate all over
the inside of the housing... I recommend them highly, but you must do your
thermal analysis and verify your results... intimate contact with the
Sil-pad is very important.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com