TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:29:16 +0200
There are two reasons why patents can be invalidated: prior art and
obviousness.

In this case, I think that annular rings of >0.4 mm are sufficiently
commonplace that prior art can be easily proven. The changeover from
SnPb to Pb-free solders could be argued as obvious. Under these
conditions, I believe that any decent patent attorney could argue a suit
out of court and thus invalidate the patent. The notion, in the
abstract, of "The width of the land 2 is set to such a value that the
land exfoliation due to the solidification/shrinkage of the lead-free
solder 6 and the shrinkage of the circuit board in the thickness
direction can be prevented" is irrelevant as it does not form the
essential base of a claim.

It would be sufficient to show one single assembly, made with any of the
lead-free alloys mentioned, with a proveable manufacturing date prior to
19 October 2001, with lands >0.4 mm under the conditions described, for
the claims to be thrown out. Sale of such an assembly would be
considered as "publication".

IMHO

Brian