TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:31:36 -0800
Kaye:  The likliest scenario is this.. the VCI you refer too is likely a benzotriazole based chemistry, that is the most common.   It is also probable that your IAg contains benzotriazole already, this is co-deposited with the Silver, in most systems.  So the most probable situation is that you would be applying more of something that is already there...

The implications of this are that the upside benefits are likely low, and the downside potential problems are also low...

Without knowing specifics, that is probably the best guess.

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

Kaye Clayo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Technet,

Does anyone have any experience using vapor corrosion inhibitors (VCI's),
and if so, would this be suitable (or even necessary) to use to store
raw immersion silver finished printed circuit boards or
partially assembled IAg boards to extend the shelf life of the finish?

It is my understanding that VCI's "work" by seeding the air surrounding the
metal object and depositing (electrons?) on the surface which protects the
finish from corroding (tarnishing), and that they can have a variety of
proprietary chemical compounds to do this.

I am concerned whether or not the VCI's can affect the solderability of the IAg
surface finish, and also the personal health risks involved (if any).
There is a paper called silver saver paper that has the VCI chemical sprayed onto it.
I am questioning if this is OK to use to slip sheet IAg boards. There are also VCI plastic bags.

I guess my ultimate question would be how to store the IAg boards after the package is opened
and before final assembly (what kind of bags or boxes or such and whether they should be vacuum packed).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Kaye Clayo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this notice is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.