TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
Leland Woodall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leland Woodall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:26:05 -0600
Hi Folks,

I have a small dilemma here.  There is a standard for eutectic solder pot
impurity levels, but I can't seem to find one for lead-free.  Is there
such an animal?

Everything I've researched on the Web shows only recommendations, namely
from Alpha and AIM.  Those two have slight disagreements.

At least they provide something, and that is impressive.

It also appears that the major concern is processing problems versus
product reliability.  If copper content gets too high, the wave solder
viscosity becomes too high and bogs down the mechanical parts of the
machine.

When things get out of whack, can I expect reliability problems as well?

What levels of impurities would cause premature joint failure,
specifically?

Are we too new to this, and have tests not yet been agreed upon?  Is IPC
addressing the issue?

Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Offline comments are welcomed.

Many, many thanks,

Leland Woodall
Quality Coordinator