TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
"Barmuta, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Barmuta, Mike
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:13:34 -0800
Scott: The first question you have to answer is what is the highest contact
resistance the design will tolerate. Most straight carbon polymer thick film
(PTF)materials can only go down to about 20-30 ohms/sq.

Processing shouldn't be a problem. We have built literally hundreds of
thousands of boards and millions of keypads. The PTF is terminated over HASL
on both the top and bottom sides of the board. Then processed thru either
single side reflow, double side reflow and/or wavesolder depending on the
type of product we are building.

No-clean flux is used for SMT and water soluble flux for wavesolder.
Cleaning is done with inline conveyorized equipment, semi-aqueous aliphatic
hydrocarbon cleaning chemistry for the no-clean and a saponifier for the
water soluble flux.

We do not mask thru any of these processes.

I would recommend you contact the PTF manufacture and use the correct
material(polymer type) for your processing applications. All PTF's are not
created equal.

The only other advice I would give you is to keep the termination area to
the PTF small. We normally use a 12 mil trace that is overlapped by the PTF.
It is also important that the bare board supplier apply the PTF over a clean
HASL termination followed by a complete cure. A poorly cleaned HASL surface
or incomplete cure will result in possible interfacial failure.

                                                                Regards

Michael Barmuta

Staff Engineer

Fluke Corp.