TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
Ed Popielarski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Popielarski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:01:29 -0800
Dave Seymour,

I had a similar experience when working for the Burroughs Corp. years ago. We were using a very aggressive water soluble flux and the assembly was 100% sockets (18 pin Dip, approx.. 100/assy.).

There was a high fallout in test, and we discovered the flux made it's way up to the contact area. This particular lot of sockets was missing the barrier tape on the bottom which is intended to prevent such a problem.

I set up temporary rework stations by connecting dental "water pick" units to a D.I. water source and building plastic enclosures similar to a sand blasting cabinet to facilitate localized cleaning of each socket. The pulsing action of the water pick pump provided the local energy to penetrate well enough to remove all of the residue. Of course, the components had been depopulated from the sockets prior to washing.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Regards,

Ed Popielarski
QTA Machine
949-581-6601