TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:51:30 +0200
Sorry, Doug, but it is more than the solvent/carrier system. With many
fluxes, the activators themselves are VOCs and, if the residues
sublimate, they are also VOCs. It is possible they may not be legally
classed as VOCs in some countries, but that is a bureaucratic quibble,
not science. In other countries, they are classed, by the definition
that a VOC is an organic compound which is emitted into the air and
which can photochemically react with NOxs to form the precursor
compounds of tropospheric ozone. This is the case with many active flux
components. I agree that the quantities emitted may be small compared
with the solvent system, but they are not negligible.

Brian