TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:33:38 +0100
What you say confirms our experience, that bright nickel is prone to
dewetting. We COULD solder on bright nickel, but not without many precautions, like
storing the parts in nitrogen, use ZnCl solutions, abrasive tools etc. Once wetted,
the joints seem to be acceptable, but personally, I doubt much about a soldering
process, in which the wetting front looks like a hippo's belly, slowly snailing forward and
apathetically binding onto the metal. My wetting scenario is more like what happens when
some drops of Balveni happen to fall on the landlady's best walnut table, an immediate spread
in all directions.

Rats in the bath, quite normal. When we visited a well reputed house, one of our guys observed a little pyramid on the bottom of one the numerous tanks. The owner was stunned, just peered down in the bath and had no answer. Our guy looked thoughtfully up in the ceiling....and saw a hole in the construction, just over the tank..and the pyramid. Hmmmmm...he took a long piece of a pipe that was on the floor and nocked the ceiling with a slight..pooomff. A nearly invisible stream of glittering particles added some more centimeters to the pyramid...

Ingemar