TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Parial Swati <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Parial Swati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:04:31 +0530
Dear Werner,
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Actually we are observing this particular  phenomena in the boards before
assembly.
What I mean to say is that we are observing this problem in the
microsection that we do in our lab.
We observe this in boards with HASL finish as well as ENIG finish.
Could you throw more light about this phenomena ?

Thanks and warm regards,
Swati...

|         |           Werner Engelmaier|
|         |           OM>              |
|         |           Sent by: TechNet |
|         |           12/04/2004 09:06 |
|         |           TechNet E-Mail   |
|         |           Forum; Please    |
|         |           respond to       |
|         |           Engelmaier       |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                              |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Parial Swati/NAN/ATS/IN)                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [TN] Clarification about Hole wall separation                                            |

Hi Swati,
Hole wall separation and resin recession occur during cooling from
soldering
process temperatures. During reflow soldering of the assembly, one of the
hottest part of the assembly is the PCB. The PCB resin is significantly
above its
glass transition temperature, and has a very high CTE. This expansion is
constrained/resisted by the PTV copper barrel. If the barrel plating is
thin and/or
the attached inner-layer pads are spaced too far apart [particularly at
prepreg layers], the barrel walls will deform inwards. Some of this
deformation is
elastic, but can be plastic as well. This plastic deformation of the barrel

wall prevents the copper barrel to resume its original geometry on cooling
when
the resin shrinks back to its original volume. Thus, the copper stays where
it
is, the resin returns to its original geometry--violá, "hole wall
separation
and resin recession."
You can prevent hole wall separation and resin recession by reducing the
soldering temperatures (not a good idea if you want to have good solder
joints--and it will be getting worse with this lead-free insanity), plate
thicker copper
barrel walls, use non-functional inner-layer pads, avoid thick prepreg
layers, have a low resin content in your lay-up.

Regards,
Werner Engelmaier
Engelmaier Associates, L.C.
Electronic Packaging, Interconnection and Reliability Consulting
7 Jasmine Run
Ormond Beach, FL 32174 USA
Phone: 386-437-8747, Fax: 386-437-8737, Cell: 386-316-5904
E-mail: [log in to unmask], Website: www.engelmaier.com