TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:43:20 +0100
uwave is world of mystery (not really..nearly everything can be simulated in puter nowadays). At some frequency bands, most of the RF current is transported, not in the middle of the conductor, but along the very edge. Now, we have experienced that the solder and the gold have sometimes poor coverage and thickness along the line's edges, compared with the flat top side. Therefore, in many cases, the signal has to travel in nickel. In order to get rid of the various problems, we sometimes just skip all platings and use pure copper! All depending on application. If the board is exposed to harsh environment, it woun't work of course.

FYI , The resistivity league: Ag 1.6 uOhm.cm, Cu 1.7,  Au 2..4,  Solder 17 and Electroless Nickel 55-90 uOhm.cm.  So, now you can see why nickel may be troublesome at certain frequencies.

If you want to learn more, Don Cullen at MacDermid and Bruce Kline at Taconic, have written an interesting paper about various finish vs frequency. 15961/358

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems