TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:46:16 +0200
5 litres of PFC compound, such as Fluorinert FC 70, is 9.7 kg. At an
estimated GWP of 15,000, it is equivalent to 145.5 tonnes of CO2. A
Toyota Prius has a published CO2 mass emission of 104 g/km. This means
you could travel 1.4 million km in the same year for the same effect on
climate change or, more practically, 93 car owners could each travel
15,000 km (a reasonable annual average for privately-owned cars) to
produce the same pollution.

I mention this because the high GWP of PFCs could well make them a
target for governments anxious to reduce GHG emissions. It is much
easier for a government to restrict the use of niche products with a
high GWP (and annoy just a handful of people) than to tackle the
motorist or electricity consumer (and annoy the majority of the electors).

Brian