TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Richard Fudalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard Fudalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:29:26 -0500
Pete
you wrote:

So imagine looking at a cross sectional view of a hole with no etchback -
The resin and copper are in the same plane. When the panel is run down the
electroless line one of the chemistries is micro-etch.  The micro etch is
desiged to remove copper. You can imagine (I hope) that when a panel with no
etchback (butt joint) goes through the micro-etch the copper some  of the
pad will be removed.  So the copper pad will be recessed slightly - below
the plane of the resin.  (No woodworking term) This is negative etchback.

Having said all of this and re-reading I decided to find some pictures on
the web.  (I just did a Google Search - I know Delson is a lab but I am not
associated in any manner. )

There are  pictures of both Positive and  Negative