TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Pete menuez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Pete menuez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:07:48 -0500
I think most board shops will work something out if the defective condition
is attributable to the  shop.  They probably won't write a check to cover
costs but they should issue a credit or discount future orders, deliver
premium orders (quick turn) at no additional costs etc., etc.

In your example, not scoring boards, the answer is obviously that the board
shop is at fault.  There are, however, countless incidents where the board
shop gets the blame when they either don't deserve it or can't be absolutely
attributed to them.

A few examples are damage, solderability and electrical failiure
(short/open).

These examples can be hard to troubleshoot and to determine root cause.

Damage: I've shipped product to you. You've stocked it then, when its pulled
off the shelf for use the operator sees that the boards had been dropped.
Who damaged the boards?  In fact, even if you say you found the damage as
the boards are being unpacked the board shop will be resistant to taking
blame. What is the receiver dropped the board and is covering him/herself?
This is just as likely as the board shop shipper doing the same thing.

Solderabilty:You are running boards across the wave and you detect solder
wetting problems.  Your statement to the board shop is that your not having
problems with anyone elses boards.  The board shop is not having any
complaints from any other customers and all of the product goes through the
same process.

Shorts/opens: You test the assembled board and it fails.  Your technician
attempts to find the fault and eventually comes back with - it must be the
board.  The board shop checks records and finds that the boards were
electrically tested for short and opens.  (Most board shops do not employ
electronic technicians, nor have the capabilities to troubleshoot electrical
failures)  The board shop believes that unless the test operator made a
mistake and passed a faulty board the board must be electrically good.

In each of these examples I would expect the board shop to investigate the
problem (more than my snippet)  but I would also expect them to resist
issuing credit unless they found a smoking gun.

Just my two cents