TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:29:27 +0200
In one of my books, published in 1980, no longer in print, so don't ask
for it, I stated that it was a bad idea to use both solder mask and
conformal coating. A quarter of a century later, I still stand by this
statement. If you can get away with it, do not use solder mask if you
are going to use conformal coating. In those days, of course, we had
wave soldering to contend with and solder mask had a real purpose to
serve. With SMD, and proper design, solder mask is not so important. At
the worst, it would be sufficient to apply it as a thin line dam to
prevent solder from being thieved from a pad. That way, the area being
masked would be a tiny fraction of a percent and not 95%++. Old habits
die hard.

Brian