TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:58:18 EST
Hi Roger!

I'm going home to Hendersonville, NC...just outside of Asheville...western
part of North Carolina. Blueridge Parkway, Smoky Mountains National Park,
etc... the "pretty" part of North Carolina (in my humble opinion)...

I have to ask though (because our customer will ask it), what is the big
difference between ASTM B-152 and the IPC-4562? The board is rigid, I'm assuming
that they want this heavy copper on these layers to be a heat  spreader...

Thanks for your time on this...gotta' ask, are you a "tarheel" too?

-Steve Gregory-

I  believe the 14oz layers appear to be thermal planes with epoxy fill
reliefs  prior to lamination. There are several board shops that can
manufacture  your product. Unfortunately, the issue will be certifying the 14
oz copper  to the IPC-4562,  most copper vendors that manufacture copper
foils  above 10 oz certifies to the ASTM B-152 Standard Specification for
Copper  Sheet, Strip, Plate and Rolled Bar and not to the IPC-4562

Hope This  Helps !

What part of North Carolina are you flying home  to?

Roger Tingler
Methods Engineer
Colonial  Circuits
V:800-578-9602 x102