TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
"Reeves, Tim R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Reeves, Tim R.
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:48:24 -0500
Ryan,
I agree with you wholeheartedly in your conclusions and reasoning.
 I made the same point about pure water no longer being pure the moment it
gets in your mouth, and other arguments against the "leaching theory".

However, as a former submariner, who in fact ran the 8000 gal per day
distilling plant on occasion, I can tell you the water submariners drink is
not extremely pure - it's fairly pure coming out of the still, although
entrainment (as Brian Ellis mentioned) causes there to be some ions from
seawater in it.
By the time we drink it, it's also had calcium hypochlorite added to it (to
kill the slime growing in the potable water tanks). And I can tell you, the
A-gangers did *not* like having to go into the potable water tanks.

For use in the reactor plant and steam plant, the water from the still is
passed through a mixed bed IX column to make it purer.

Finally, much of the time we drank "bug juice", a form of Kool-Aid-like
beverage.

Ironically, the very same bug juice powder, because of its acidity, was used
to descale the distilling plant!

Tim Reeves
Process Engineer
Tyco Electronics | Printed Circuit Group | Dallas Division
503.623.1000 Ext.1120