TECHNET Archives

December 2004

From:
Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dale Ritzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:18:41 -0600
Hi Joyce,
I'm going to jump in here even though "unbidden"...

Simple answer - reliability. No one knows the long term effect on product
reliability using the new non-leaded solder in electronic circuit junctions.
Some reports from the first wide-spread use of non-leaded solders do NOT
reflect a high reliability rate in these junctions. Personal opinion
follows: That's why things medical or military are not rushing into this.
When cell phones start "not working" after only 2-years of use and the
reason is found to be weak/poor no-lead solder joints, it really doesn't
paint a good picture for placing someone's life support, business network or
defense systems in this predicament.

Bottom line: There are no long term reliability studies that prove the
worthiness of the non-leaded solders. Indeed, there are some studies that
would lead one NOT to put a lot of faith in this new "environmentally safe"
solder mix. And, on top of that, there are no long term studies on the
effect of the new solder waste (tin, bismuth, silver, etc.) in the
environment. It would appear that we are collectively jumping off the cliff
again and hoping that there are soft bushes at the bottom to break our
fall...

Respectfully,
Dale Ritzen
Quality Manager