DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Donald Kyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:49:40 -0600
According to DR. Tom Van Doren, the return current path would start
following the 'U' shape around 1 kHz.

I attend one of his courses on GROUNDING AND SHIELDING where he had a short
piece of coaxial cable. On one end of the cable he connected an oscillator
and the other end was a resistor. Then he shorted the shield at both ends
with a wire. With a clamp-on current probe he measured the current through
the shorting wire. At dc all of the current went through the shorting wire.
As the frequency was increased less and less current flowed through the
wire. At about 1kHz there was a slight decrease in current and at 10kHz
there was a significant decrease in current.

The coaxial cable provided the least impedance path even though it was 4
foot long and the shorting wire was 2 inches.

Donald Kyle C.I.D.+
281-285-7528 voice
281-285-8593 fax
Schlumberger