LEADFREE Archives

December 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:40:35 -0600
Hi Employed-Rick, Werner, IPC LF Listservers,

Just a quick note, maybe more later. I tend to agree with Werner rather
than you on the availability and quality of the reliability data available.

Back a long time ago now, I remember writing on LeadFree that I was shocked
to find that most reliability tests were (hot cold) thermal shocks and some
companies and researchers reported success with no (0.0) failures.

As a user at the electronic assembly level (Printed Wiring Assembly) the
best I expect to be told, is that the supplier tested it on a particular
type of board and it passed. I expect little specifics as to the board, the
process used or what exactly "passed" means. I also expect to be told that
other OEM's or assemblers (without specifics) are having success.

When a problem does occur I expect to be told the above, unless the loss of
my purchases would cause a substantial loss.

If a report does exist in the industry I expect very little discussion or
true peer review. Presenting a paper by itself does not provide peer or
best of breed review nor corrective action. BTW Most of these companies are
ISO9001 (the new one) and brag about it.

If you consider the continual decline in R&D and Advanced Manufacturing
Engineering dollars and headcount, with the increase in the complexity of
all this solder/mettalurgy mixing, new printed circuits etc, and the move
to the Far East for electronic manufacturing, development we (as a
technology body) have to be knowing less at a time when the engineering
problem is once again more complex. Not as bad as the 60's, 70's yet still
more complex.

Have a Good Close to 2004, and Awake with Energy in 2005

Yours in Engineering, Dave
YiEngr,MA/NY DDave

P.S. Glad this LF stuff made employment for you.