LEADFREE Archives

December 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:51:20 -0000
Firstly - the lead test kits produced for the paint industry do no work

reliably for RoHS work. Surface area to be swabbed is too small, the

indicators are not very accurate and or don't work at the low levels we

are seeking to detect. The same applies to hand held XRF units which

again require about 25 mm sq of surface to work on minimum.

As part of a recent project the UK NPL has looked at various types of

the above and concluded they won't be of much use in the RoHS domain.

Secondly - yes there is lead and cadmium in the Nickel of many ENIG

finishes where they are used as stabilisers in the process. Chemistry

suppliers are looking at the problem and hope to have a practical

solution soon. The issue has been raised at EU level and the UK DTi are

tracking progress on any decisions as to whether this might form another

exclusion.

Regards,

Chris