LEADFREE Archives

December 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Suzie Abcarius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:16:56 -0500
From my past experience at another company, I would say that your BGAs will
likely pass 5DX inspection today - balls do not melt though.  However, over
the long-term, intermittent signal errors popped up that were later found to
be caused by the lead-free BGAs.  We had to do a lot of re-work.

Of course, your experience may differ depending on board size, thickness,
component density, etc., etc.

Most manufacturers who have posted some sort of leadfree/ROHS statement on
their website say that all lead-free packages EXCEPT BGA & MLF are backwards
compatible to be used in the standard leaded process.

The only exception I've come across being this document but they still
suggest higher reflow temperatures - which may damage your other
Pb-containing components that have not been rated to the higher reflow
temperature (see pg.7, table 2):

http://www.infineon.com/cmc_upload/general%20recommendations%20for%20board%2
0assembly%20of%20lead-free%20BGA_2_0.pdf

I'd suggest you go after the other 20% of components that you need to
convert to lead-free (and don't assume that a manufacturer who has a
lead-free component has also gotten around to qualifying it to withstand the
higher reflow temp.)

Good luck!

rgds,

Suzie