TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Dave Simonik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:07:29 -0500
I've noticed similar 'goo' with repairs I have done on TV / VCR remotes. I
always use IPA. However, the outer touch surface of the elastomer pads
usually show a brown 'goo' on the wipe or swab after cleaning, and the
internal surfaces leave a black 'goo' on the wipe or swab. I'm thinking the
elastomer pads are printed with a carbon ink to make the connection when
pressed against the interleaved 'pitch fork' pads on the board. The plated
pads on the board usually leave a brown 'goo' on the wipe or swab. After a
thorough cleaning, I usually leave the pieces on a paper towel for a couple
of hours to dry, then reassemble the components. I've even performed this
routine on a remote that was dropped into a fish tank! Still works good to
this day! I have also noticed that repairs done on units that reside in
smokers dwellings reveal a darker brown 'goo'. I've never noticed any type
of sealing compound, such as dielectric silicone grease or glue on hand held
units taken apart for repair.

If you have access to one, a SEM should reveal the chemistry behind the
brown 'goo' phenomenon. Or maybe you could send a 'goo' sample to your local
CSI lab to see if there is any DNA within it. ???

My favorite tool is the Victorinox 'Swiss Champ', don't know what I would do
without it, except carry around a small tool box!

Dave Simonik
Sanmina-SCI
Owego NY Division